en - Re: [sympa-users] Found a message that makes our listserv hang

  • From: Patrick Rynhart <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: "Herbert, Francois" <address@concealed>, Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Found a message that makes our listserv hang
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 20:31:34 +1300

On 12/11/2013 5:01 p.m., Steve Shipway wrote:
In our production Sympa environment running version v6.1.14 (Élias) we
have found a message which makes a bulk.pl hang. Further, it seems to
stop all lists on our listserv from processing (until we manually kill
off affected bulk.pl process(es) and restart Sympa services).

The regexp error you mention seems to occur in the TT2 parsing code.

Does this list have MailMerge enabled on it? Possibly this is causing the
problem, as the message has something in it that looks like TT2 code but
isn’t. If so, disable mailmerge on the list (you should have it disabled
anyway for this sort of data)

Brilliant - that's what the issue was alright. I had enabled merge_feature by default (i.e. "merge_feature on" in sympa.conf).

Thank you very much for this. We've had a few unexplained / strange hangs of bulk.pl processes - hopefully this addresses it. (I had wondered why attempts were being made to regexp parse the message.) I have run sympa.pl --reload_list_config to rebuild our binary config files, and intend to 'whitelist' any lists that need this feature.

It would seem that you need to be careful with this setting. As noted, this caused our entire listserv to become unavailable. (By sending a 'bad' message, such as the one sent to our list, it looks like a DoS can be caused on demand if merge_feature is known to be enabled on a particular list and you have rights to post.)

Because this bad message was already queued, I had to manually set merge_bulkmailer to 0 in bulkmailer_table (independent of changing the list configuration) to get the message to clear.

Thanks again - this is great.

Regards,

Patrick

Another possibility is a problem in the notification templates.

Steve

Steve Shipway
ITS Unix Services Design Lead
University of Auckland, New Zealand
Floor 1, 58 Symonds Street, Auckland
Phone: +64 (0)9 3737599 ext 86487
DDI: +64 (0)9 923 6487
Mobile: +64 (0)21 753 189
Email: address@concealed
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail :
打印本邮件,将减少一棵树存活的机会