en - RE: [sympa-users] Mac Outlook and OWA HTML email

  • From: "Shane H. Wilson" <address@concealed>
  • To: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Mac Outlook and OWA HTML email
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 15:35:18 +0000

Thanks for your help, it turned out I didn't have any headers or footers
defined, but I did find a solution to my problem and I wanted to share it
with the list.

I had had the same issue with Mailman and that was part of the reason for
looking at Sympa. After seeing what Sympa can do, I think I'll stay. I
finally found that if I sent the same email directly to a Gmail account
(without going through a list of any kind) I was having the same issue of the
message being converted to plain text. I had never noticed this behavior,
because I don't think I had ever tried it and I'd never had a user report the
issue before. At that point it isn't a problem with Sympa or Mailman so I
looked to Outlook 2011 again and I found the following web site with the
solution.

http://www.officeformachelp.com/2011/05/exchange-mail-sent-as-html-in-outlook-2011-is-received-as-plain-text/

It theorizes that during an Exchange upgrade (which fits with us) the
"contenttype" was set to MimeText and it should be MimeHtmlText. This issue
only affected OWA and Outlook 2011 (MAC), all Windows Outlook (2003, 2007,
2010, 2013) were unaffected by this setting. It also only affected OWA and
Outlook 2011 (MAC) if the message was going to a system outside of our
Exchange installation, anything other than @centre.edu (in our case).

The PowerShell to correct the problem is: get-remotedomain | set-remotedomain
-ContentType MimeHtmlText

I hope this helps someone else!

Shane

Shane Wilson
Information Technology Services
Coordinator of Network Services

CENTRE COLLEGE
Personal education. Extraordinary success.
http://www.centre.edu