en - [sympa-users] spambots hitting subscription request page

  • From: Matt Taggart <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] spambots hitting subscription request page
  • Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 12:26:29 -0700

Hi sympa-users,

One of the lists we host has setup a web form on their website so people
can enter their address and then get automatically directed to

https://listserver/www?list=listname&action=subrequest&email=foo%40bar.com&a
ction_subrequest=submit

which contains a button the user clicks to confirm submitting the request.
When the button is clicked the address is emailed the confirmation request.

What we are seeing is that webcrawling spambots are able to enter an
address in the form, submit, and then click the confirmation button. But
they usually use a bad email address, so this results in the confirmation
email bouncing to listmaster. We're seeing dozens of these a day.

Is there something we can do to prevent this? Maybe a captcha or some other
way to exclude the spambots?

Thanks,

--
Matt Taggart