en - Re: [sympa-users] Support Request - Your SOAP PHP demo fails with Uncaught SoapFault exception: [HTTP] Forbidden

  • From: Finn Rudolph <address@concealed>
  • To: David Verdin <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Support Request - Your SOAP PHP demo fails with Uncaught SoapFault exception: [HTTP] Forbidden
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 12:49:07 +0100

Hi David,

thank you for the quick reply!

I assumed that if you're offering a demo server and putting a PHP SOAP demo including its source code out there, that everyone is welcome to fiddle around with the API!

Best practice would have been to allow anyone access via SOAP to the demo server. I assumed, that you want to show off the powerfull features of Sympa - including its SOAP API. If the API is too powerful and the demo server will get cluttered with noisy test data you could offer two Sympa instances: One for webfrontend users and one for developers that want to test the SOAP API.

At least a big HINT message in the PHP Demo Script - documenting that all requests from another domain than sympa.org will be answered with a HTTP 403 Forbidden Error - would have been nice. A comment in the source would have been enough for me.

Concerning your assumption, that someone made the choice to use Sympa based on his / her decision to try out the SOAP server first: I was delighted to find a demo script _before_ I had to install a fully blown service locally. Failing to get the exact same code running on another server made me sad and I was at the edge of saying, that the SOAP API of Sympa is broken ;D

Best regards
Finn