en - [sympa-users] internal server error - request moderation sending to moderator failed

  • From: micah <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] internal server error - request moderation sending to moderator failed
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 11:29:25 -0500

Hi,

Recently, we've started to have this disturbing problem where we are
getting a large number of 'internal server error' emails to listadmin,
the messagess simply say:

User address@concealed has encountered an internal server error
(message diffusion - MSG_ID: <address@concealed>
- LIST: address@concealed):

The request moderation sending to moderator failed.

See the logs for more details.

We have also received complaints from users who have said that they are
having problems and are getting the internal server error message
"whenever anyone posts to our list via email. Still works to post via
the web page, after the error message it says "(viewmod)". It seems to
happen some times, but not all the times. The messages are in the
moderator queue, but when you click on them, the message is blank and it
says "internal server error".

Looking at the logs for these I find this:

Mar 1 07:50:09 willet sympa(command)[20648]: List::send_to_editor() Unable
to create
/address@concealed
Mar 1 07:50:09 willet sympa(command)[20648]: main::DoMessage()
sympa::DoMessage(): Calling to send_to_editor() function failed for user
address@concealed in list example
Mar 1 07:50:15 willet sympa(command)[20648]: Moving bad file
address@concealed to bad/

We are not out of disk space, nor out of inodes, the permissions on that
directory have not changed and the sympa user can write to that
directory (in fact, I can su to the sympa user and create that file that
it was complaining about). There are about 51k files in that directory
(if you include the dot files), its running ext3 filesystem.

I tried to look into the logs_table in the database to see if I could
find out more specifically *why* it could not create the file, but there
was no clear error message.

I'm looking for ideas for how to debug this, it seems to be a pretty bad
problem!

Thanks,
micah