en - Re: [sympa-users] what kicks off "ignoring message which would cause a loop"

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] what kicks off "ignoring message which would cause a loop"
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:47:29 +0100

Hi

Le 27/10/10 19:23, Chris Peck a écrit :
I had a College VP send out an email to three lists at once this morning (we have separate lists for faculty, staff and students). Of those, the 1st list got tagged with Ignoring message which would cause a loop (see log entries below).

while the other 2 lists went out fine. She then attempted the same message about 20 minutes later and the same thing happened.

I've scoured the logs, the messages and anything I can think of, nothing obvious jumped out at me. What causes this to occur, any tips on how I can debug this further would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Peck

Oct 27 06:14:29 localhost sympa(command)[11294]: main::DoFile() Processing /address@concealed ; sender: "Anna Smo" <address@concealed <mailto:address@concealed>>\n ; message-id: <001f01cb75bf$bb8ec390$32ac4ab0$@edu>\n
Oct 27 06:14:29 localhost sympa(command)[11294]: main::DoFile() Ignoring message which would cause a loop (X-Loop: address@concealed <mailto:address@concealed>)
Oct 27 06:14:29 localhost sympa(command)[11294]: Moving bad file address@concealed to bad/
You should check the file in spool address@concealed

I think it contain a header X-Loop: address@concealed <mailto:address@concealed> . This header is added by sympa to prevent loops (some guys may try to subscribe a list to another one and make a ring of subscription). Remove it and move the file back to xxxxxx/sympa/msg/ (you must preserve file owner and access).
May be this user as used a previously distributed message to modify it and submit it again to the same list ?

Serge Aumont

  • Re: [sympa-users] what kicks off "ignoring message which would cause a loop", Serge Aumont, 11/04/2010