en - Re: [sympa-users] High Availabity and Load Balancing

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] High Availabity and Load Balancing
  • Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 16:02:13 +0100

Le 02/11/10 11:17, Jose Maria Palacio a écrit :
Hi all.

We have a Sympa infraestructure, based on two nodes configured in high availabity and load balancing.

Last week we discovered a problem in message distribution after the moderators acceptance in moderated lists:
- Suppose a person sends a message to a moderated list and it is processed by node 1.
- Sympa puts the message as pending for the moderator acceptance the moderation spool, configured in the queuemod variable in the sympa.conf file for this node.
- Once the moderator sends the acceptance for the pending email, or validate it through the web operation, if this acceptance is proccessed by the node 2 (50% of cases), Sympa searchs in its queuemod directory (also configured in the queuemod variable in sympa.conf for this node) and, obviously, it does not find anything... an error message is sent to the moderator stating that Sympa could not find the message and possibly another moderator and has given his acceptance.
As a solution to this problem, we have configured these messages in a common directory on both nodes, this is, the queuemod is shared between two nodes. We think this situation should not present concurrency problems, although we would like to know your opinion on this solution.

You are right about moderation process, but this should be generalized to *all spools* : auth, digest, etc need also to be shared by node 1 and node 2.
Access conflict in spools are managed by lock and should not be a problem.

We are working to move all spools in database, so cluster could become possible without file sharing based on NFS, NAS or SAN.

If you consider the web interface, the problem is the same but the number of files to share is much more important because the web interface can be used to edit a lot of configuration files.

Serge Aumont