en - Re: [sympa-users] Giant digest processing putting mail delivery on hold for over an hour

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: Omen Wild <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Giant digest processing putting mail delivery on hold for over an hour
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:52:45 +0200

Hi Omen,

Le 26/08/2010 22:06, Omen Wild a écrit :
We just finished migrating 5,500 Listproc lists to Sympa and have run
into a fun issue with digest generation.  We have two lists for doctors
who like to send giant images via the list.  Many of them are also have
their mail mode as digest, and a huge percent bounce.

Between the two lists, 750 users receive mail via a digest and are
currently bouncing.  The lists average about 100MB of traffic per day.
Because of VERP this totals around 75GB of traffic that Sympa must
generate to send the digests.

In the last 4 days the two lists have taken up to 45 minutes each to send
the digest.  This puts email delivery on hold for an hour and a half.

Has anyone run into issues like this?  How did you solve it?  Is it
possible to fork the digest creation portion?  Would adding remote
bulk mailers help, or is the holdup more likely in the creation of the
digests?

Fully understanding your problem will require some serious Sympa code digging, but the short term solution would be to set digest sending time to somewhere during the night. That way, even if there is a hold in messages distribution, it will be seamless to most users.
This is a parameter you can set in the list config (in the "sending" section).

Regards,

David
We are running Sympa 6.0.1 on Solaris 10 (T-2000, 16GB RAM), perl
v5.10.1, MySQL 5.0.87.

Thanks,
   Omen

--
David Verdin
Comité réseau des universités

Due to the limitations of human brain, I fail to remember all the mails.
So if you want your bug reports or feature requests for Sympa to be processed, please post them to the Sympa tracker