en - Re: [sympa-users] upgrade problem / question

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: "Allen, Pat" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] upgrade problem / question
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 17:36:48 +0200

Woops, too bad, I missed your previous posts.

Starting Sympa 5.4, we changed the way passwords are store. We no longer use the cookie parameter but now store a MD5 fingerprint of the password. We still need the cookie parameter for the upgrade because we need to uncrypt password before creating the MD5.

The advantage of this new storage method is that the value stored in database can not be used to guess the actual password value, only to make sure that the value given by the user is right. Also, it allows to get rid of this cookie parameter which was a pain for listmasters on each upgrade.

You need to run sympa.pl --md5_encode_password to change the value stored in database. Please take care that this operation cannot be reverted, so backup your database before doing it.

P.S. : I spotted an FAQ explaining it (it says what I just wrote): https://www.sympa.org/faq/password_problem_updating_to_version6

Regards,

David