en - Re: [sympa-users] Problem with Return-Path header

  • From: "Rolf E. Sonneveld" <address@concealed>
  • To: Peter Polkinghorne <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "'address@concealed'" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Problem with Return-Path header
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:29:28 +0200

Hi, Peter,

On 06/22/2010 02:22 PM, Peter Polkinghorne wrote:

We are using Sympa 6.0.3 on Exim4 on SLES. The issue I am having, is with bounce handling. As we are in the initial stages of deployment, I have set up a test list with a bad address for one subscriber.

The messages sent out on this list have items such as the List- headers set up correctly and Errors-To set listname-request, but the Return-Path header is set to sympa@site, instead of listname-request@site. I am unable to tell if this is Sympa’s fault of Exim’s, although the Exim set up is fairly simple, just forwarding onto the main Exim hubs for our site.

I have had a look at the code, and other than the VERP part, can not see much in the way of set up for Return-Path. Has anyone else had these problems or offer advice as to where to examine further?

the Return-Path is the representation of the SMTP envelope From address, and as such is added by the last mail server (Message Delivery Agent) that is responsible for dropping the mail into the mailbox of the recipient. Hence I would not expect Sympa to add the Return-Path header to the message. Now, I'm afraid this information does not help you much further, but you may want to investigate the setting of the SMTP envelope From address by Sympa.

/rolf

--
Rolf E. Sonneveld
Consultant

Sonnection B.V. - E-mail and Directory Services
Nieuwlandseweg 44
3824 XT Amersfoort
The Netherlands
E-mail: address@concealed