en - [sympa-users] periodic list expiration/confirmation

  • From: Dan Pritts <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] periodic list expiration/confirmation
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 18:20:15 -0400

Hi,

we have many lists that are created, used for a short time,
and then ignored by their owners.

We'd like a feature that does somehing like:

----

set an expiration date in the list config.
Default +1 year from creation.

send a reminder to list owners asking them to re-set expiration some
time before the list is expired.
Default: 1 month before expire, and again 1 week before expire.

an interface for resetting the expiration date. probably a button in the
admin
web interface that adds some time to the expiration date.
Default: +1 year from current expiration, but possible expiration can
never be more than 2 years from now.

close the list if the expiration date comes.

perhaps delete the list if expired for some time
Optional, off by default.

----

A related feature would be to add an additional state beyond "open" and
"closed."

"archived" or "attic"

The list-owner desires to close the list forever, but maintain the
list archives and other config in sympa. Not eligible for deletion by
listmaster (of course listmaster can change state to closed :).

----

Related, a list-export feature so you can push out the html archive
and other data to another "attic" server, contained all in one directory or
tarball.

when the list is closed, all the data including the subscriber dump is
in the list_data and arc directories, so this is just packaging it all up.

Additionally, it would be nice to have the config HTML-ized so it could be
viewed from a browser. Not sure about this, but certainly the subscriber
list.

----

Is anyone working on anything like this? I think it is not too much work
but I do not want to re-invent the wheel.

It doesn't seem like the auto-creation and auto-deletion of "family" lists
is the same thing but maybe it is related.

I am sure I am missing something though. :)

thanks
danno
--
Dan Pritts, Sr. Systems Engineer