en - Re: [sympa-users] configure failure / rpmbuild failure

  • From: Dan Pritts <address@concealed>
  • To: Daniel Maher <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] configure failure / rpmbuild failure
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 17:25:05 -0400

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 03:41:21PM +0200, Daniel Maher wrote:
> All of this leads to my final question : is there an official .spec file
> available that works ?

The answer to this question is almost certainly no.

What follows are my notes about making sympa work on RHEL5, using
third-party RPMs when possible. Given the situatino with CGI and
Time::HiRes (see below) I'm not sure this was all worth it but it's what
i did.

My notes indicated I needed these RPMs, which I got from either
redhat or rpmforge:

perl-libwww-perl
perl-DBD-mysql
perl-DBI
perl-LDAP
perl-Archive-Zip
perl-Email-Date-Format
perl-FCGI
perl-File-Copy-Recursive
perl-HTML-Format
perl-HTML-Tree
perl-IO-stringy
perl-libintl
perl-MIME-Charset
perl-MIME-EncWords
perl-MIME-Lite
perl-MailTools
perl-Net-Netmask
perl-Regexp-Common
perl-Template-Toolkit
perl-Term-ProgressBar
perl-XML-LibXML
perl-Crypt-CipherSaber
perl-IO-Socket-SSL
perl-Net-SSLeay
perl-SOAP-Lite

Additionally, I discovered that the CGI and Time::HiRes modules
are built in to RHEL's perl RPMs, and the versions installed are too old for
sympa's taste.

Since they're in the RHEL perl RPM there's no clean way to update them
separately. I chose to create a custom module root, and install them there
via CPAN.pm. I think that if I'd just installed them "normally" via CPAN,
it might have put everything in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl, which would not
conflict with anything else, but i was nervous that this wouldn't really
happen
properly, so i put it in an separate area (under /usr/local/pkg in our case).

Also, I installed MHonarc from the mhonarc author's RPM.

This meant that i had to modify the main programs to add an appropriate
"use lib" line at the beginning. Things mostly worked when I simply
added the appropriate PERL5LIB env to the init script, but the cgi needed
hardcoding (or so it seems, putting the appropriate line in httpd.conf
was not sufficient, i guess perl or fastcgi cleanses the environment)

Additionally, rpmforge did not have a working fastcgi apache module, but
EPEL did, so i grabbed only that from EPEL.

If you choose to install in non-default locations (I wanted data in /sympa)
be careful, there are various hardcoded places that you will run into.
I've submitted bugs on all that I know about; one I have listed in my notes is
that bounce_dir is hardcoded in sympa/constants.pm, setting it in sympa.conf
has no effect.

danno
--
Dan Pritts, Sr. Systems Engineer