en - Re: [sympa-users] LDAP Querying

  • From: Warren Anderson <address@concealed>
  • To: Christian Dahlhausen <address@concealed>
  • Cc: christopher pax <address@concealed>, Wendell Epps <address@concealed>, "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] LDAP Querying
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:58:45 -0700

Hi Christian,

I had the same problem. I created an LDAP filter in /etc/sympa/search_filters
and used a scenario file to deal with it. For us, the email lists are defined
as groups in LDAP to simplify authorization management (the groups are also
used for web acls, for instance). From my notes, my filters are of the form:

> vi /etc/sympa/search_filters/MyGroup.ldap and add
> host my.ldap.edu:389
> suffix ou=people,dc=my,dc=org
> filter (&(mail =
> [sender])(isMemberOf=Groups:MyGroupMembers))
> scope sub

You want whatever LDAP attributes will contain the email addresses in the
first clause of the filter. We currently dump them all in mail, since it is a
multivalued attribute, so mail = [sender] is sufficient. However, if you have
them sprinkled in multiple attributes, it's not much harder, eg (&(|(mail =
[sender])(mailalternateaddress =
[sender]))(isMemberOf=Groups:MyGroupMembers)). Once you have defined this
filter, you use it in a scenario.

> vi /etc/sympa/scenari/send.MyGroup
> title.gettext MyGroup members allowed, moderated for non subscribers
> search(MyGroup.ldap) smtp,smime,md5 -> do_it
> is_editor([listname],[sender]) smtp,smime,md5 -> do_it
> true() smtp,smime,md5 -> editorkey

This scenario allows anything returned by the LDAP search defined in
MyGroup.ldap to be accepted as send address. Make sure that all the new files
are owned correctly (sympa:sympa) and restart sympa. Then go to the admin
menu of the list you want to accept alternate email addresses to send to, and
select "MyGroup members allowed, moderated for non subscribers" or whatever
the title text you've put in your scenario file, and click the update button.

These instructions are based on sympa 5.4.x, so your mileage may vary by
version.

Cheers,
Warren