en - Re: [sympa-users] change_email on serveral robots

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: "Lorenz, Sabine" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] change_email on serveral robots
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 17:24:53 +0100

Hi Sabine,

Lorenz, Sabine a écrit :

Hallo,

we use Sympa 5.4.7 with three virtual robots and have a problem if a user wants to change his email-address for several robots.

To change his email-address the user authenticates in one robot and changes his email-address.

After this process his email-address is changed in all lists of this particular robot and his login-address  is also changed.

If I get it right their is only one Sympa-login-account for all robots and the user is not able to authenticate with the old email-address in another robot.

No. Each sympa Sympa account is specific to one robot. you can have differeent email addresses and passwords in each robot.
A good reason for this is that you can host several robots for deifferent institutions with no relationship between them. Consequentlt, there is no reason why a user, by creating an account on a robot, would have an account on all your robots.
Imagine you create an account on google groups and it would automatically transfered to yahoo groups (no, I don't imply that they both use Sympa as their mailing list manager - proselytism has limits, too). It would be very disturbing.
So if when one of your users changes her password on a robot, it is also changed on the other robots, congratulations: you found a bug. ;)

Regards,

David

Of course the user could request a new password for the old email-address but if he authenticates with this init-password in another robot and changes his email-address his original password get lost because it is overwritten by the init-password.

Besides this would be very complicate to explain our users because most of them are not really familiar with Sympa use.

Did anybody else already recognize or solve this problem?

Sincerely,

Sabine

Sabine Lorenz
Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
Steinbuch Centre for Computing

Hermann von Helmholtz Platz 1
76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen
Telefon:  +49 7247 82-8633

E-Mail: address@concealed
www.kit.edu/scc

KIT - Universität des Landes Baden-Württemberg und
nationales Großforschungszentrum in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft

--
David Verdin
Comité réseau des universités

  • Re: [sympa-users] change_email on serveral robots, David Verdin, 11/13/2009