en - [sympa-users] Migrating version & hardware...

  • From: Marco Gaiarin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Migrating version & hardware...
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:35:02 +0100

I'm planning a migration of one of my main server, from debian etch to
debian lenny, and from one hardware to another.

I've just migrated a server from etch to lenny (from sympa
5.2.3-1.2+etch1 to 5.3.4-6.1), and sympa got upgraded
flawlessy 'in place'.

But... how to handle migration in this situation? Reading around

http://www.sympa.org/manual/upgrading

seems that i have to:

1) install new sympa package in new hardware, keep it unconfigured (or
do basic and dumb configuration).

2) stop old sympa server, backup all data (conf, list archives,
databases, ...)

3) unpack data on new server, restore database

4) tackle some minimal configuration options (database connect strings,
...) as needed.

5) start sympa -upgrade on new hardware, leave sympa itself to do the upgrade
on first startup.

Right? Some more precaution to take for debian packages?

Thanks.

--
Devi sapere che l'Universo può essere visto come una battaglia fra i
sistemisti, che cercano di realizzare sistemi a prova d'idiota, e Dio