en - [sympa-users] List owner's auto-replies bugging me

  • From: Nick Holden <address@concealed>
  • To: "'address@concealed'" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: [sympa-users] List owner's auto-replies bugging me
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:20:56 +0100

Hi all,

A small annoyance, but it is getting bigger... one of our list owners
very often has an 'out of office' auto-reply set up on his email, as he
travels extensively and is very often out of his office.

Every time sympa sends him a system message, an auto-reply goes back to
sympa-request@mydomain - and that gets forwarded to me. Yesterday I
received 30 such messages, the day before 35 and so on.

The messages don't indicate what triggered them, but my guess is that
they are the result of random spam email sent to one or other of the
list's system addresses - in the logs there are some "DoForward"
entries, but nothing very helpful, like this:

24 Aug 2009 22:01:33 iufen DoForward iufen,request Other events success
address@concealed sympa
24 Aug 2009 22:19:13 iufen DoForward iufen,request Other events success
address@concealed sympa
24 Aug 2009 22:46:17 iufen DoForward iufen,request success
address@concealed sympa

My current guess is that these messages are generated when a spam is
sent to listname-unsubscribe or suchlike - the lists are set not to
notify for successful subscribe or unsubscribe, so it must be an
unsuccessful one.

Is there a flag I can set to turn off notify for failed unsubscriptions,
or some other way to tackle this problem?

Thanks,

Nick