en - Re: [sympa-users] Proper threading of messages with no Message-ID

  • From: Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz <address@concealed>
  • To: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Paul Menzel <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Proper threading of messages with no Message-ID
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 10:03:41 +0200

Hi,

David Verdin wrote:
Hi,

Sympa doesn't have an option to add missing message-id.
I would rather see the MTA adding a missing message-id, because it handles all the incoming SMTP checks.
But I see a few problems related to it:

- can't adding the message-ID header break the signature of a signed message?
- if a client doesn't add the Message-ID, won't it also fail to add the "In-Reply-To", used to build threads?
- it could be possible with Sympa, because it could check if the messagef is signed first, or sign it itself, event if the original signature is broken. But again, I'm not sure it is the best option.

If I'm right, S/MIME doesn't use headers to sign a message. And DKIM list the headers it used to sign the message. So, no problem in both situations.

I mistakenly though Message-ID was obligatory, but in fact it's an option (with SHOULD) - see section 3.6 of RFC 5322 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5322.txt).

But either way, if you submit a message to sendmail (and probably postfix too), the MTA will add a message-id header. IMHO, it's up to the MTA (or MSA or MSP) to handle this.

Regards,

José-Marcio

Regards,

David

Paul Menzel a écrit :
Dear everyone,

how do you deal with the following situation?

Outlook for example does not set Message-ID in the header most of the
time [1]. Sympa gets the message and distributes the message to the MTA.
The MTA sets an individual value Message-ID for each message.
Consequently if someone answers other people will have problems with
threading in their MUA since Reply-To has a different value.

Should this case be handled in Sympa and does Sympa has an option for
this? Or should this case be taken care of in the MTA? Andreas Metzler
gave a possible solution for Exim [2] already.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://www.terryfrazier.com/fullThread$msgNum=1526#msg1526
[2] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-exim4-users/2009-May/001621.html

Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
Ecole des Mines de Paris
60, bd Saint Michel 75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06
mailto:address@concealed