en - Re: [sympa-users] Max subscriber of each list

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: Micah Anderson <address@concealed>
  • Cc: Wen Si <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Max subscriber of each list
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:44:13 +0200

That's a reasonnable request, I guess.
I added it to the feature requests. We'll see how it matches in our development plans.

Thanks for reporting this need!

David

Micah Anderson a écrit :
I know that the original question was more about if large lists were
possible, but I have a related feature request.
It would be really nice if it were possible to set a per-list subscriber
limit. This could be set in sympa.conf as a global default, and then it
could be overidden per list, by a list admin (similar to max posting
sizes). This which would keep lists from having any more subscribers
added over this limit.
Because we provide lists to people, we frequently have people get a list
and then subscribe thousands of people, most who should not be
subscribed, and then are able to send out messages before we are alerted
to the problem and can stop it. By this time, the damage has been
done. If there was a configurable limit, then we would limit this
damage, and have a more measured control over the subscription numbers.

micah

* David Verdin <address@concealed> [2009-04-23 08:41-0400]:
For now, there is no known limit to the subscriber count for a list. There are few data associated to each user, so event with the full list loaded in memory, it doesn't weight much.
Now, you must take into account the distribution load, according to how quick your mail server is. Lists of more than 10 000 subscribers, are often mùoderated, so that you can validate the message distributino in the evening or whenever the load is low on your mail server.

I recently heard of a list with near 120 000 subscribers. It doesn't seem to be a problem.

Note that Sympa 6 introduces nightly sending : you will be able to set a time when the message will be sent, every day, for certain lists.

Regards,

Wen Si a écrit :
Hi,
Is there anyone know what the max subscriber of each list is?
I am going to create a list with 80,000 subscribers. I don't know whether sympa can handle it.

Thank you. Sincerely, Wen Si

Windows Live Messenger makes it easier to stay in touch - learn how! <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9650731>

--
David Verdin