en - Re: [sympa-users] Configuration questions

  • From: Dallas Wisehaupt <address@concealed>
  • To: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • Cc: sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Configuration questions
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 10:11:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hi David,

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, David Verdin wrote:

Hi Dallas,

Dallas Wisehaupt a écrit :
1. Option to contact sender in addition to moderator when a message is
approved for distribution.

There is no setting to trigger this action. This is due to the fact that most people are actually subscribed to the list they are writing to. So they receive the message if approved by an editor.
What is the use case for which such a notification would be necessary?

The case that keeps appearing for us is a campus department that wants
to contact a set of students. They email the associated list, which is
moderated to prevent spurious traffic. They then have no confirmation
when the message is actually released to the community. When a message
is time sensitive, they get antsy.

We do have a method where our help desk can look up a message and let
the user know when it was released and by whom, but the users don't want
to go through that hoop. Gotta love trying to create technical solutions
to non-technical problems.

2. Option to disable warnings of include synchronization during times of
maintenance.

Nothing is implemented for this. As long as a synchronization happens, warning are issued if it fails. I guess the best is still to prevent these synchronizations to happen when your database is in maintenance. If you know exactly when this is done, you could shut down the task manager or force a synchronization just before the DB down time. Deleting the sync_include tasks a few minutes before the database unavailability will force these synchronization, ensuring that they are not triggered when the database is down.

That sounds like the approaches we have been looking at. I'll move
forward with modifying out maintenance procedures.

Hope this helps,

It does. Thanks.

Dallas
--
Dallas Wisehaupt Senior Systems Administrator
address@concealed The University of Scranton