en - Re: [sympa-users] Scalability of Sympa

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: "Martin, Nicolas" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Scalability of Sympa
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:46:52 +0100

Martin, Nicolas wrote:

Hi,

Concerning the scalability of Sympa, the only information I found is that it can undergo "up to 100.000 subscribers" per list. My questions are :

This information is not up to date. Some guys recently distributes a big message (110 Ko) to 750.000 subscribers using Sympa version 5.4.3 with 2 servers : one dedicated to Sympa and one to Sendmail distribution. The delay for Sympa process was 2h30, and during this initial process more than 90% of the messages was sent up to the destination MTA (99% in 4h) ; the MTA was already in many white list.

Using Sympa 6.0 with its new bulk mailer we could do it in much more better way because the repartition of the distribution process on defferent servers will be very easy.

-> is there a maximum number of lists / host ?

Yes there is a maximum of lists because lists configs are stored on files and list object are stored in memory. We don't known exactly this number. Our own server have more then 1000 lists, we known servers with 10000. may be some can share their experience ?

-> is there a maximum number of messages / list / day ?

The limit for this is probably very high. I think the real limit will not comes from Sympa itself but from remote antispam and may be also because subscribers will not accept so many messages ;-)

-> Any other kind of limitation ?

The real limitation is the one I described first : lists object are stored in memory (I mean list configs, not subscribers). This limitation is mainly related to the web interface where the distribution process could support extremely high number of lists, subscribers and messages. We are working on that the first step is to move spools in database. That's what does Sympa 6.0.

Serge Aumont