en - Re: [sympa-users] Message not available

  • From: Cefiar <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Message not available
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:33:14 +1100

Muhammed Sameer wrote:
When I was looking through the archive of one of my lists, I saw that there
were many instances where I saw that next to a bullet mark in the list of
messages in the archive was 'written message not available' in Italics

What does this mean ? Was sympa unable to archive that message

It means that the message that is referred to by the following message is unavailable.

Unavailable in this context usually means one of the following:

1. The message following it refers to a previous message that sympa never processed (eg: The original reply was off-list, and the subsequent reply was to the list address.

2. The message was excused from the archive for some reason (eg: the ' X-No-Archive:Yes' header).

3. The message has been marked as deleted/has been deleted.

In any case, Sympa does not have an archived copy of the message available to it.

BTW: It might be useful in generated archives if this text contained a link to a definition somewhere on the list server of the above reasons. This makes it much clearer to anyone viewing the archives why the message isn't actually available. Be careful however not to make the WHOLE line of text a link, as it'll really confuse people - it'll look just like any other message!

--
Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - address@concealed