en - Re: [sympa-users] Message header/footer inheritance and variables?

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: Mark Sallee <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Message header/footer inheritance and variables?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:18:47 -0800

Mark Sallee wrote:
Adam,
I've attempted to add these changes to admin.pm, but it isn't working.
Do you have any more documentation or tips on how to populate the
variables in the footer? The main variable I want for the footer is
[%listname%].

I have also submitted this to the Feature Requests for Sympa:
https://sourcesup.cru.fr/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=4632&group_id=23&atid=170

Mark --

You may have misunderstood my patch, and what you seem to be asking for in your feature request requires a deeper architecture change in Sympa (which they may or may not be working on -- I've lost track). There is no parsing of variables in realtime when a message is distributed to a list, so there's no way to use them in a header or footer and have them substituted.

All my patch does is create a customized message footer for each newly created list, based on a new template that you need to create. This template *would* contain those variables, which the list creation code would parse, producing a final message footer for the list that contains the list's specific info, with *no* variables in it. So the variable substitution is done only at list creation time; after that, it's all literal.

Sympa team's response to doing variable substitution in real-time has always been about the conflicts with performance and batching, although that's actually only relevant if you're talking about per-user substitution. One should be able to do a single substitution for the whole batch using information that's the same for all of them, ie. list name and such, without affecting performance or batching. But that's yet to come, as far as I know.

adam