en - Re: [sympa-users] Blank email problem

  • From: Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz <address@concealed>
  • To: Nick Holden <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Blank email problem
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 21:04:13 +0200

Hi you and all,

Nick Holden wrote:
Hi all,

Is anyone else noticing problems with the use of "listname-subscribe"
and "listname-unsubscribe"?

Specifically, it appears that at least one major ISP (virgin, which took
over ntl in the UK last year) is now refusing to transport entirely
blank email messages. As a result blank email messages to
listname-subscribe or listname-unsubscribe do not get through to my
server from users on those networks (including me, which is how I
noticed it).

But first, have other list managers noticed the same problem?

I don't know about other people seeing the problem, but I know why they do that.

We're a domain with some, say, 2000 users. I usually see here something like 10 to 50 empty messages a day. Some of them are very short and have only a short code in the body (10 chars or even less).

This kind of message is used by, very probably, spammers to check the validity of an email addresses. Suppose they have a database of some, say million email addresses and want to check if their are still good. So they send this kind of probes. They don't need to send the probes in a high speed. They do that in a continous way, with a reasonable speed, like 20000 a day (against 50000 thousand spams an hour).

The problem is that if your mailserver accepts the message, the spammer will interpret that as : "the probed address is a valid one !!! If you reject, that means that the recipient probably doesn't exist. It's better to reject...

I've checked some of the supposed sender addresses I've seen. All of them are valid addresses and, probably, controlled by the spammer in order to collect all bounces and process them to maintain their addresses database.

As long as the message is very very short, no content filter can, detect, in a reliable enough way, it it's a spam or a legitimate message.

In France (and in some other countries probably too), collecting or maintaining a database of email addresses is illegal. So accepting this kind of messages is a privacy issue.

The false positives I've seem are, as you said, messages to MLM and some notifications from Gmail Calendar and Agenda - if you don't have any event schedule for the day, gmail will send you an empty message.

One possible solution is to allways have a signature in your message... But I agree, this isn't a good solution.

Well, that's the problem...

My 2 cents

José-Marcio

Thanks

Nick

Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
Ecole des Mines de Paris
60, bd Saint Michel 75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06
mailto:address@concealed