en - [sympa-users] Without warning, sympa only delivers to a fraction of subscribers?

  • From: Gregor Hoffleit <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Without warning, sympa only delivers to a fraction of subscribers?
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 20:08:37 +0200

We're testing a setup with a huge list (130.000 subscribers).
When I send a message to the list, Sympa pumps out 1400 mails to the
Postfix MTA, covering 28.000 addresses. Then it simply stops delivering.

Strange thing: It leaves a message in the syslog that sounds like a
success message:

sympa(message)[11853]: main::DoMessage() Message for test-list from address@concealed
accepted (466 seconds, 1439 sessions, 100243 subscribers), message-id
<address@concealed>, size=43874

But, as you can see, something's wrong here: 1439 mails with at max 25
addresses is much less than the expected 100243 recipients. And in fact,
if I look into the mail log, there are less than 29000 recipients.

And it reproducably stops at 1439 sessions, when I rerun the message.

I would expect that Sympa would log some error message or at least a
warning, IF if would drop some messages deliberately.

Is it possible that Sympa just crashes here silently?

Any hint where I could go and look for more information,

Thanks a lot in advance,
Gregor