en - Re: [sympa-users] messages held in distribute queue when large message

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: Thomas Berry <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] messages held in distribute queue when large message
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:09:01 +0200

Thomas Berry wrote:

We have a very active mailing list server. A weekly distribution is made to a list of about 7500 members who are self-subscribed, so the source of the email addresses is a SQL database (not the LDAP server). When a message is distributed to this list, all other distributions get held in the "distribute" spool until the weekly distribution is completed. Sympa continues to receive and process messages (as can be seen by the accumulation of the messages in the distribute queue) This wouldn't be a problem, but the distribution takes about 30 minutes to finish.

We have sendmail installed locally on Sympa. Sendmail is configured with a SMART host that is our outbound email system. I don't see any load issues during the distribution.

Is there a possibility that our Sympa installation maybe configured wrong for this situation?
The default bulkmailer configuration is made for very small serversn (and we didn't change it for a long time ; now servers are much more powerfull). You should consider maxsmtp and nrcpt parameters in sympa.conf. Increase maxsmtp will run more sendmail which should be possible because of the server RAM and increase nrcpt should be also a good tuning because of the smart host sendmail configuration.

Serge Aumont