en - Re: [sympa-users] messages held in distribute queue when large message

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: Thomas Berry <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] messages held in distribute queue when large message
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:17:48 +0200

Hi Thomas,

Well, somme distributions just take time. I guess that the fact that your sendmail has no issues while Sympa handles large lists messages is a signe that Sympa bulkmailer works pretty well.
In the next stable release, we should be able to interrupt large lists messages distribution to let smaller - and with higher priority - lists to have their messages sent.
For now, I can only encourage you to put small priority to large lists. You can also ask their owners to keep messages in moderation and wait for the evening to allow messages diffusion.

Regards,

Thomas Berry a écrit :
Sympa 5.3.4
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Version 3
running on an HP DL380 w/4GB RAM

We have a very active mailing list server. A weekly distribution is made to a list of about 7500 members who are self-subscribed, so the source of the email addresses is a SQL database (not the LDAP server). When a message is distributed to this list, all other distributions get held in the "distribute" spool until the weekly distribution is completed. Sympa continues to receive and process messages (as can be seen by the accumulation of the messages in the distribute queue) This wouldn't be a problem, but the distribution takes about 30 minutes to finish.

We have sendmail installed locally on Sympa. Sendmail is configured with a SMART host that is our outbound email system. I don't see any load issues during the distribution.

Is there a possibility that our Sympa installation maybe configured wrong for this situation?

--
David Verdin
Comité réseau des universités