en - Re: [sympa-users] Upgrade to 5.4 failed

  • From: Serge Aumont <address@concealed>
  • To: Ståle Kristoffersen <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Upgrade to 5.4 failed
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 11:51:10 +0200

Ståle Kristoffersen wrote:
On 2008-03-28 at 07:59, address@concealed wrote:
Glen Eustace wrote:
I tried to upgrade to 5.4 this morning, it failed miserably.

It would appear that the chnages to the database schema are only actioned if one uses mysql, I am using Postgresql.
Yes that's true, updating database structure is supported only for mySQL. This is described in this document :
http://www.sympa.org/manualtest/upgrading?s=upgrade#database_structure_update . Why did you have to restore your previous configuration ? Sympa should just refuse to start unless the database structure is updated.

We did not the job for Oracle, Sybase, Postgresql because it is not easy for us to test it. We would be very pleased to received some contrib for it. Now updating process in a specific module "Upgrade.pm" . It should be quite easy to do it.
Is it recommended to use sympa with mysql? We are a bit afraid to use
postgresql if things will break on update.
Ugrade database structure is automatic only for mysql which is the Sympa server development RDBMS but postgresql etc will not have troubles with upgrades unless you will have to change the database structure according to the changelog yourself (until some contributor ...)

You may have a lot of reason why you want to choose a particular RDBMS. If you have no preference about it, yes we recommend mySQL.

Serge