en - Re: [sympa-users] subscriber e-mail names - comma separated

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: Mark Sallee <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] subscriber e-mail names - comma separated
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:09:44 +0200

Hi,

It won't be allowed by Sympa, as it can handle only one email address per user. Remember that the email address will be used to identify and then authorize the user. If this field was a comma-separated list of addresses, we could not compare it to the address provided by the user.
Actually yes, we could if we just took into account the fact that the address mail in the database could be a comma-sparated list, be we don't because all addresses aren't equivalent.
For now, the handling of alternate email addresses is not good in Sympa (we removed it from the 5.4). There are a lot of problems regarding these addresses : for example, we can need to use official email address in some list and not in other.
If an user registers address@concealed and address@concealed, these addresses won't be usable in all the lists. You don't allow address@concealed in a list where people are supposed to represent their university, for example.
So how to chosse which address use ? Must we check all the addresses ? We don't know yet but we will work on this soon.

Regards,

Mark Sallee a écrit :
We are trying to pull a subscriber e-mail list from Oracle database that has multiple addresses on one line, separated by a comma:
Under Manage subscribers, E-mail:
address@concealed,address@concealed

Is this allowed, or could it cause us problems? Right now sympa performance on our test system is very slow, but I can't be sure if that is adding to the problem.

Thank you.

--
David Verdin
Comité réseau des universités