en - [sympa-users] loop prevention and return-path

  • From: address@concealed (Kendall Libby)
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] loop prevention and return-path
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:26:47 -0400

We're having a problem with a badly behaved list server sending junk
to our sympa (5.3.4) server, and I think that sympa isn't handling it
as well as it should.

Initially, their server tries to send a message to a moderated list
and sympa replies with the usual "you've been moderated, etc" reply.
But that leads to them replying to sympa with not only an 'unknown
command' message, but also a second 'help' message. This then causes
sympa to reply to both; lather, rinse, repeat.

Now I can - and have temporarily - added their 'list' address to the
loop_prevention_regex but it I would have thought that sympa would
check for a null Return-Path: header before replying. Instead, it's
only looking at the From: address.

Admittedly, I haven't been able to wrap my brain around all of the
relevant RFCs, but it seems like this is an oversight on sympa's
part.

Any thoughts?

K.

  • [sympa-users] loop prevention and return-path, Kendall Libby, 04/24/2008