en - Re: [sympa-users] Changing a sympa domain name

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: "Allen, Pat" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Changing a sympa domain name
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 08:25:26 +0100

Woops.
My bad, the page is here: https://www.sympa.org/faq/change_robot_name

Sorry.

David Verdin a écrit :
Hi,

We wrote a page providing guidance when moving from a virtual host to another. This looks very similar to your question.
You can find this page here: https://www.sympa.org/internals/internals-session

Cheers,

Allen, Pat a écrit :
Hi everyone -

I'm in the final steps of converting from Lyris to Sympa. I will be converting from one system to the other over a weekend to minimize the disruption on my users. So I would like to create all the lists on the Sympa server and load all the member tables into the lists in advance of the weekend.

Here's the situation that I currently have. My Lyris server is on a host whose physical name is landspout.shore.mbari.org. I have DNS CNAME records for listserver.shore.mbari.org and listserver.mbari.org which point to landspout.shore.mbari.org. All the users and all the sendmail and Exchange servers only know about the "listserver" names. This has allowed me to move the Lyris installation from one physical host to another in the past without the users knowing it.

My Sympa server is on a host whose physical host name is tundra.shore.mbari.org. I have DNS CNAME records currently set up for listserver2.shore.mbari.org and listerserver2.mbari.org which point to tundra. My sympa domain is listserver2.mbari.org so all the lists are known as address@concealed. Everything is working great.

My goal is to create all the lists on the Sympa server and then to load the member tables. Then on the weekend that I cutover, I want to 1. Shutdown landspout (the Lyris server)
2. Load in all the archives from Lyris
3. Change DNS so that the "listserver" CNAME records point to tundra (the Sympa server)
4. Change the Sympa domain from "listerver2.mbari.org" to "listserver.mbari.org"

I know how to do steps 1-3. What exactly is involved in step #4? I know that you need to update the sympa.conf file and rename all the directories under /home/sympa. But I seem to recall that the domain name is written to the database in a few places. Are there some database commands which need to be run to change the domain name?

Also, does anyone see any steps that I'm missing?

Thanks for your help!
Pat

Pat Allen (address@concealed & http://www.mbari.org/staff/pat)
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI)
7700 Sandholdt Rd, Moss Landing, CA 95039
(voice) 831-775-1724; (fax) 831-775-1620

--
David Verdin
Comité réseau des universités