en - Re: [sympa-users] loop prevention only on some commands?

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] loop prevention only on some commands?
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 18:19:23 -0800

David Verdin wrote:
Could you please send us an example of such a message (the one that causes the loop)?
We will see what make it miss the test.

I could, but it's very simple: Send a message with the command "lists" or "help" in the subject line to sympa@. Repeat as many times as you like in as short a period as you like, and regardless of your loop prevention settings, it will keep sending back responses. Do you still want me to send an example message?

ab

Adam Bernstein a écrit :
Howdy Sympa folks. We've increasingly had problems with infinite mail loops getting started between our server and another (the other server is often also a listserver, maybe even a Sympa server) via commands like "lists" and "help". Although we have Sympa's loop detection turned on and set to a low threshhold (10 commands in 1 hour) and it does catch and stop some loops, it does not catch these. I take it that's because of the line in sympa.pl that counts and blocks responses only if there is a "report", which must mean something other than "any response", since these commands are obviously generating responses but are not getting counted.

The conditional line in 5.3.3 is:

if (&report::is_there_any_report_cmd()) {

We need to expand the loop prevention to cover all commands, so I'm wondering, can we just take that condition out? Or else how to modify it?

Many thanks.

ab