en - Re: [sympa-users] using certificate with sympa

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: puestadelsol83 <address@concealed>
  • Cc: sympa-users <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] using certificate with sympa
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:19:47 +0200

puestadelsol83 wrote:
Hi!
I read something in the guide about s/mime and encryption in sympa.
If I have a user in ldap tree that is a member of a list in sympa and this
user want to send an enctypted message. The certificate that he use is the
same that he use in his ldap tree or is necessary to create a new certificate
that is visible only in sympa?If it is the same is necessary to include the
certificate in the apposit directory in sympa?
sorry but this is the first time I use certificate.
You must remember that signing and encryption are different. When signing a message the sender use his private key (the one which associated with his certificate). When encrypting a message the sender use the recipient certificat. So in order to send an encrypted message to a list the sender needs the list certificate. Then Sympa decrypt the message and distribute it using encryption for each list member. In this step, Sylmpa needs the certificate of each subscriber. Sympa is not able to search certifiactes in LDAP directories. It just store certificates received in any signed message. So if subscribers send a signed message to Sympa, they will received encrypted message as long as the certificate is valid.

Serge Aumont