en - [sympa-users] Re: Converting an existing list to a family list

  • From: Olivier Salaün <address@concealed>
  • To: Steven Peterson <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Converting an existing list to a family list
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 09:14:50 +0200

Hi Steven,

You can't automatically convert a list to make it belong to a family because the family requires a set of data for the instantiation and these data are spread across your list config file. If you don't extract this set of data for one list, then you are not able to reinstantiate the family to recreate the list.

What you'd need to do is write scripts that extract the data (subject, owner,...) from your existing list config files. This script should also determine all the customizations that were done by list owners (use of custom_subject, changed right on web archives,...) so that you can define an appropriate param_constraint.conf file for the family.

If somebody has a better algorithm, please share it with us ; we'd love to automate this process...

Steven Peterson a écrit :
We really like the 'families' feature as it enables us to change the operating config of a large number of lists in a single location. However, we currently have a large number of lists that were created the 'original' way and are not related to families. Can someone point me to a place that explains how to convert a bunch of existing lists all to a family-related lists?