en - [sympa-users] Re: CAS and additional attributes

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Allison Jones <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: CAS and additional attributes
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:13:20 +0200

Hi Allison

Allison Jones a écrit :
We're thinking of starting to use CAS for single sign on for a variety of web applications, including drupal and sympa. Our sympa setup is currently using mysql, and we are not using LDAP currently.
For a CAS handler, we were thinking of using mysql instead of ldap. However, a piece of information in the sympa documentation has me a little concerned. At http://www.sympa.org/documentation/AA-in-Sympa/ , section 2.4.3: Obtaining user attributes, it seems to imply that an LDAP directory is necessary when using CAS to obtain the user's e-mail address. Is it possible to obtain this information using a mysql query?
That's right, Sympa needs an LDAP directory to fetch user email address, because CAS does only carry the userid.
We decided to use LDAP because the CAS authentication feature was introduced to meet universities needs and universities mostly use LDAP directories as there CAS backend.

However it would be worth extending the way Sympa gets user attributes after authentication, via an SQL database for example. Please add a feature request in our tracking system ; no garantee when we'll have soma spare time to code this. Our tracking system : https://sourcesup.cru.fr/tracker/?group_id=23

Thanks.