en - [sympa-users] Re: Implementing namespaces for list names?

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Berge Schwebs Bjørlo <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Implementing namespaces for list names?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:53:44 +0200

Hi Berge,

I can think of 2 places in Sympa where you could enforce the privileges for creating a mailing list :
  1. through the 'create_list' authorization scenario. You can define a custom 'create_list' authorization scenario that may even include custom code through the Custom Conditions (see http://www.sympa.org/wiki/manual/authorization-scenarios#custom_perl_package_conditions). The only drawback though is that the listname provided by the user (who wants to create a list) is not provided in the scenario context. We might change this in future versions of Sympa...
  2. through the list_check_smtp sympa.conf parameter that can be used to check if a new listname is valid, see http://www.sympa.org/wiki/manual/conf-parameters/part2#list_check_smtp
Sympa's web interface does not provide a way to build the new listname, the way you expect to do it. You would have to patch the wwsympa::do_create_list() subroutine of Sympa. Another option would be to write your own list creation web application that would then delegate the list creation process to Sympa through our SOAP API. Please check http://www.sympa.org/wiki/manual/soap#sympa_soap_server

Berge Schwebs Bjørlo a écrit :
We're evaluating Sympa at NTNU, a medium-sized university (about 30 000 students and employees) in Trondheim, Norway.

So far Sympa seems excellent for our use cases, though I wonder how to implement namespaces when creating new lists.