en - [sympa-users] Implementing namespaces for list names?

  • From: Berge Schwebs Bjørlo <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Implementing namespaces for list names?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:27:41 +0200

Greetings!

We're evaluating Sympa at NTNU, a medium-sized university (about 30 000
students and employees) in Trondheim, Norway.

So far Sympa seems excellent for our use cases, though I wonder how to
implement namespaces when creating new lists.

Policy-wise, students (and others) are allowed to create personal mailing
lists on the following form: address@concealed [0] (with an
arbitrary value of mylist, obviously) and address@concealed for
organisations they're listmasters for.

With our current Mailman setup, this is enforced by doing the actual list
creation with a external scripts. I wonder if Sympa could be configured to
enforce this namespace scheme without resorting to hacks.

I kind of figure this could be done with authorization scenarios.
Unfortunatly, I find http://www.sympa.org/wiki/manual/authorization-scenarios
a bit short on info and my level of Google-skills gets me nowhere.

Ideally, the prefix (username or organisation name) should be prepended upon
list creation. If I as a regular user (my username is berge) create a list
named "foo", the actual list name would automatically become
"address@concealed".

If it at all matters, authentication is usually done with generic_sso, with
email addresses fetched with LDAP.

Pointers to documentation or hints would be great appriciated!

Cheers,
-Berge

[0] Please ignore the English meaning of "stud" - it's short for the
Norwegian (and English, incidently) word "student", but someone
historically didn't think about what "stud" might mean in other
languages..

--
Berge Schwebs Bjørlo
There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about