en - [sympa-users] Re: cookie and ssl passwd crypt problem

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Johan Loubser <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: cookie and ssl passwd crypt problem
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:45:04 +0200

Hi Johan,

You should ta care to have the same value for the sympa.conf "cookie" parameter on both servers. This parameter usages includes passwords encryption/decryption. It needs to be the same value if both Sympa servers share the same password database.

See http://www.sympa.org/wiki/manual/upgrading?s=cookie#moving_to_another_server
the directory /etc/sympa.conf and wwsympa.conf. Sympa new installation creates a file /etc/sympa.conf (see sympa.conf parameters) and randomly initializes the cookie parameter. Changing this parameter will break all passwords. When upgrading Sympa on a new server, take care that you start with the same value of this parameter, otherwise you might have problems!

Johan Loubser wrote:
I have an old sympa installation on debian woody (sympa 3.3.3)

I am in proses of building a backup server(clone) with same version sympa to keep the proses going while
we do a dubble upgrade on the mail server.
And migrade to the latest version of sympa.

My problem at the moment on the clone server is that the  passwd is not
decrypted as should when login is attemted, same is hapening if the
passwd is requested through mail. The data is in a postgres database.