en - [sympa-users] Re: Sympa processing messages very slow

  • From: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Re: Sympa processing messages very slow
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 07:39:51 -0500

Patrick von der Hagen wrote:
Hi all,

looks like sympa-daemon died when my harddisk was full Friday evening.
Actually, that's strange since sympa has its own partition which was not
affected.

Anyway. This morning I found about 9500 messages in sympa/spool/msg. I
restarted sympa and waited for the queue to be processed. However, speed
is a nightmare. Sympa is processing less than one message/second, it
took about 2 hours to process the first 3000 messages. That's about one
message every 2 seconds. Since mail is continually delivered to sympa,
the message-count shrinks even slower and I estimate it might get
midnight, before the queue is completed. :-(

Now, the cpu isn't idle, but there are plenty of cycles left. Memory is
still availabe, no swapping. I reniced sympa.pl and task_manager, but it
doesn't really help.

Any ideas how to improve speed? Or how to identify the reason?

Do you have a virus and/or spam checker in the mail path? Some of the delay might be there.

Miles