en - Re: [sympa-users] help! - upgrade problems

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] help! - upgrade problems
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 15:11:12 +0200

Hi Miles,

Miles Fidelman wrote:
Now that I have Sympa 5.2.1 installed on a new machine, I'm trying to migrate from a 3.4.4.3 installation, and I've run into a few snags. I hope some of you can point me at a way out!
[...]
- first time around it says it installed all the perl modules, but didn't - had to force install Template and XML::LibXML via cpan (each failed one test out of about 100 - hopefully not a critical one)
We noticed that but we don't quite understand why these 2 modules don't install properly.
If somebody has an idea, he's welcome.
3. running mysql, so the upgrade notes say that the database would be updated automagically, so I tried to start things:

- got a bunch of errors:
Starting module sympa.pl: DBD::mysql::db do failed: Can't DROP 'list_admin'. Check that column/key exists at /home/sympa/bin/List.pm line 10997.
[...]
Because lots of DB fields have changed/added, we also need to remove existing indexes and recreate them. You probably didn't have these indexes before, or nor with the right names.
[...]
- immediately followed by one titled Listmaster/ sympa died, containing: error : data structure was not updated ; you should run sympa.pl to run the upgrade process.
To prevent inconsistencies after an upgrade, all processes are frozen until the DB structure has been updated. This task is performed by sympa.pl (in the future it might be a dedicated script).
4. tried a /home/sympa/bin/sympa.pl - and it seemed to start, so then stopped it and did a /home/rc3.d/sympa start and everything seemed to start, but archived stops immediately (which it's been doing lately - I expect something is locked or corrupted - ANY SUGGESTIONS?)
Check your log files or try to restart it.
[now it gets "interesting"]
5. the install message indicated that: "Sympa.pl should detect that you are upgrading from an old version and will run the tpl2tt2.pl script to migrate your existing .tpl files to .tt2 format." but... this doesn't seem to have happened. I can get to everything through the standard web interface, but all the custom messages don't come up. Various files (e.g., welcome.tpl) remain unchanged in /home/sympa/expl/<listname> and don't seem to be either converted or used.
If sympa.pl failed to run tpl2tt2.pl script, then try to run it manually.
6. I tried to convert archive files using the button on the sympa admin screen, but...

- nothing seems to happen if I hit "rebuild all"
The rebuild tasks are not performed by wwsympa.fcgi itself but delegated to the archived.pl process. If it is not running, that's the reason why your archives didn't get rebuilt.

We try to make updates as transparent as we can but that's a complex task...
If you have any suggestions, please suggest.