en - Re: [sympa-users] Creating a backup sympa server

  • From: Johann Spies <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Creating a backup sympa server
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:18:19 +0200

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 08:21:46AM +0200, address@concealed wrote:

> Version 4.1 is really very old. Check
> http://macallan.u-picardie.fr/~delepine/APT/sympa/ for debian package.

Thanks. I have installed it now.

> First : remember that the parameter cookie must be the same for your 2
> installations (sympa.conf).

I have copied it from mail3 to mail2.

> -1- install sympa on your spare machine, edit sympa.conf and set
> parameter cookie to the same as it is on your production server.

Did that.

> -2- drop the database

Done

> -3- import a copy of the existing database on your production server

Snag: the old database had fields with the type "datetime" which is no
longer available in the newer (though still old) postgresql. I have
changed the type to "date".
> -4- edit file ~sympa/expl/data_structure.version on the spare server,
> set the version number to the version which is riunning on the
> production server
$ sudo cat /var/lib/sympa/expl/data_structure.version
3.3.3

> -5- killall sympa running process, including wwsympa.fcgi (this suppose
> to stop apache)

Done

> -6- run sympa.pl : it will tell you what to do.

Here is a problem:

sympa@mail2:~$ /usr/lib/sympa/bin/sympa.pl
DBI connect('dbname=sympa;host=localhost','sympa',...) failed: FATAL:
Password authentication failed for user "sympa"
at /usr/lib/sympa/bin/List.pm line 1235
Database sympa defined in sympa.conf has not the right structure or is
unreachable. If you don't use any database, comment db_xxx parameters in
sympa.conf

But:

sympa@mail2:~$ psql -h localhost -d sympa
Password:

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help on internal slash commands
\q to quit

sympa=> \q
sympa@mail2:~$

> NEVER share a database with to different version of Sympa.

Thanks for your guidance. If I can just get the last step going...

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"Let your character be free from the love of money,
being content with what you have; for He Himself has
said, "I will never desert you, nor will I ever
forsake you."
Hebrews 13:5