en - Re: [sympa-users] Problem accessing archives after redirect for authentication...

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Gavin Younger <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Problem accessing archives after redirect for authentication...
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:04:52 +0100

Sympa partly handles this usability problem, ie "keeping track of the target service during a required authentication phase and then bring him back to this service". The way we handle it is via variables in HTML forms indicating the initial service (previous_action and previous_list). But 1/ it is not fully generalized (not in the 'arc' subroutine 2/ it can only handle 2 parameters, not '2005-10/msg00019.html' in your example).

We know we have to improve these aspects ; in the meanwhile here is a fix (against 5.2b) for web archives :
http://sourcesup.cru.fr/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/sympa/wwsympa/wwsympa.fcgi?r1=1.633&r2=1.634&makepatch=1&diff_format=u

Gavin Younger wrote:

We have noticed something of a problem displaying archives after users have
authenticated...

Consider the following situation :
We have a list with archives set such that access is restricted to members
only (in other words, they need to be logged in to view them on the web).
Now, if, for example, we post a URL in an email message referring to a
specific message eg)

https://servername/wws/arc/listname/2005-10/msg00019.html

Clicking on this link when not logged in causes the sympa server to display a "You need to login" error - fair enough.
After logging in, however, you'd expect to be redirected to the above URL after authenticating.
This does not appear to happen (you get logged into the home page instead).

Can anybody suggest a fix for this?