en - Re: [sympa-users] Gmail Problem ?

  • From: Cefiar <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Gmail Problem ?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:23:48 +1100

On Monday 13 February 2006 14:27, Dan Pritts wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 02:21:53PM +0100, Serge Aumont wrote:
> > Removing the Message-Id: make message non conforment to RFC. From my
> > knowledge, if you are using sendmail, it will add a new message-id. Not
> > a very clean solution !!!
>
> Any MTA should add a message-id to a message it receives if there is not
> one already.
>
> It is arguable whether a MLM like sympa should keep the original
> message-id, or other characteristics of the message, or assign its own.
> Or perhaps there is an RFC on this that Serge is referring to that I'm
> not aware of, i presume Serge refers to RFC 822 and its successors.

It should be pointed out that various mail software can handle Message-ID
rather differently.

I know that Cyrus "by default" will only receive one copy of a message with
the same Message-ID, across ALL users. This means that, if you are using a
brain-dead mail server that gives all messages that are CC'd the same
Message-ID, then only one of them will be delivered unless you change the
config for Cyrus from the default. The same would also apply to a mailing
list if the message is sent out unaltered with the same Message-ID.

This is definitely a shortcoming on the part of Cyrus, but it does point out
the problems that you can encounter around Message-ID usage/implementations.

IMO it may be worthwhile having an option for Sympa to strip Message-ID's (if
they are currently left intact that is), as this then leaves the decision to
the mailing list administrator, who I would hope would have the sense to make
the correct decision for their environment.

--
Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - address@concealed