en - Re: [sympa-users] Optimizing Sympa List

  • From: Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites <address@concealed>
  • To: Alfonso Marín Marín <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Optimizing Sympa List
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:19:51 +0100

Alfonso Marín Marín wrote:

Hi,

I'm administrating a Sympa server, and i have a problem: our major list is the student one, with around 30000 subscribers. When we send a message to this list, sympa takes a lot of time to distribute it, and i want optimize it.

We are using the MTA sendmail, and I'm thinking to increase the 'maxsmtp' parameter (now it has the default value, 25), but i don't know if this is the better way, and I'd like to know if there are oters.

All the subscriber share the same domain ( @alu.um.es)

Yes it is a good trick, but use 3 parameters : maxsmtp : You can try maxsmtp 300 or even more but the limit is depending on the memory availible : if sympa run to many sendmail, the server may swap. If you want to make the distribution faster you need then to make each sendmail process live in memory for a short time. This can be done adding à sendmail argument that tell to sendmail to spool message immediatly without trying to start a SMTP session or you can start sendmail with some short time-out. Later sendmail spooler will use normal time-out.

nrcpt : You also must look at nrcpt parameter and increase that one too. nrcpt is the number of receipient for each sendmail processus. If you increase this parameter Sympa needs lower number of sendmail call. The limit is not clear because if each sendmail processus is more complicated they use more system ressources.

distribution_mode : using "distribution_mode fork" Sympa will fork, one process will process commands (subscription, etc) and message forwarding (message transmited to ist editor) and the child process will be dedicated to distribution process. It is very interesting because this way new incomming messages don't way the distribution process before being served.

Serge Aumont