en - [sympa-users] List Families

  • From: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] List Families
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:46:53 -0500

Folks,

One of the areas where I believe the Sympa documentation is especially lacking is with regard to list families. In considering them for use at Duke, I'm wondering about how they're intended to be used and whether or not a list can be added to or removed from a family at will.

What caught my interest with families is, of course, the param_constraint.conf ability to restrict what people can change -- we have lots of lists here and I'd like to restrict people from being able to change settings on their lists which could affect other lists' ability to function. I'd like to have a basic bundle of families of different standard configurations, the majority of which would meet 85%+ of the users' needs here. The remaining ~15% would need one-off lists, independent of families, with configuration options specific to their list(s). Is this how families are intended to be used in Sympa, or is the idea that all lists will be stand- alone lists except for specific bundles (say, a small group of lists related to a specific research project) which would be a family? Is it possible to take a family-based list and move it to another family, or to remove it from any family association at all and turn it into a stand-alone list?

I'd like to get a good grasp of how families work and are supposed to be used because I'd like to see if I can clean up, enhance, or add to the standard documentation on list families. I feel it's lagging behind the other sections in the documentation while being one of Sympa's more compelling features and I'd like to do what I can to remedy that lag.

Thanks,
Jeff