en - [sympa-users] RSS and character encoding

  • From: Anders Lund <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] RSS and character encoding
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:53:53 +0100

I have a question regarding how to set up Sympa to give RSS feeds with
correct character encodings:

I've set up Sympa to have in sympa.conf:

lang en_US
supported_lang de,en_US,fr,it,nl,fi,sv
web_recode_to UTF-8

I have added to mhonarc-ressources.tt2:

<TextEncode>
utf-8; MHonArc::UTF8::to_utf8; MHonArc/UTF8.pm
</TextEncode>

So, when posting something that includes Norwegian characters I get into
trouble:

When I post to a list using the "post" interface in the web GUI I get an
RSS feed which includes non ascii characters, but the feed also says:

<language>en_US</language>

Different RSS readers display this in different ways. Akregator in KDE
on Linux present this in an OK way, but live bookmarks in Firefox or RSS
reader in Thunderbird don't.

If I post to the same list using for example Thunderbird I get OK
results in Thunderbird/Firefox, but not in Akregator.

The archives shown in the Sympa web GUI seem OK, so this is not perhaps
a big issue, but I would like to do something about it if possible. Any
hints on what to do?

- Anders

--
Anders Lund <address@concealed> .~.