en - Re: [sympa-users] future as far as RedHat?

  • From: Jeff Abbott <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] future as far as RedHat?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:28:05 -0400

On Oct 19, 2005, at 11:56 AM, Douglas B. Jones wrote:

I was curious, are there any official plans to support
either RedHat Enterprise 3/4 or Fedora 3/4 in the near
future. I am trying to decide which way to go.

Craig Hancock at Notre Dame has made some RPMs available for Fedora Core 3 and 4, and they work just fine on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (or in my case CentOS 4). Search the sympa-users archive <http:// listes.cru.fr/sympa/arc/sympa-users> for more info. There are some instructions and packages at:

http://middleware.internet2.edu/mlist/#Sympa_RPMs

All the prerequisites for CentOS 4/RHEL4 are available in Dag's repository and Karan's Fedora-Core-Extras-rebuilt-for-CentOS-4 repository:

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/
http://centos.karan.org/

For what it's worth I'd personally recommend staying away from Fedora Core for servers due to its rapid pace of development -- as it moves more quickly, its end-of-life point comes more quickly and you end up relying on gracious community members for providing critical updates. I personally only use Fedora Core on desktop machines, and for servers we use CentOS <http://www.centos.org> which is just a Red Hat Enterprise Linux rebuild. This means it maintains full binary compatibility with RHEL and is covered by Red Hat's release of security and bugfix updates, but comes with no monetary cost for licensing. But that's another topic for another list. :)

Hope that helps.

Jeff