en - Re: [sympa-users] Migrating templates to TT2 on new install

  • From: Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites <address@concealed>
  • To: Mark Duling <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Migrating templates to TT2 on new install
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:43:24 +0200

Mark Duling wrote:

I see. If I see this problem again I'll check the 'data_structure' file;
it's fine now but Sympa is up and happy now. But what was happening in my
case was that the migration process was happening on the first launch of
Sympa after the install. I wouldn't really care but it was renaming all
the web_tt2 templates to *.oldtemplate and not replacing them with
anything, which effectively disabled the web interface. Should the
migrate process behave like this even when a migration needs to happen?

The path where templates are installed define if the template is related to a specific list, to a robot, to the entire site or if it's part of the distribution. What Sympa does is the case you describe is to rename templates you may have customized your self (templates under the list directory, under robot etc directory or under sympa etc directory) . This way templates comming from the distribution replace them and Sympa do not mixe old style templates with the new CSS's one and the web interface should stay effective.

If you don't have any customized templates Sympa will just install its templates from distribution, else you need to check and maybe modify your customized templates. The problem you had may be caused by a bad definition of installation location where Sympa home directory have be defined at the same place then the Sympa installation binary directory so templates from distribution are recognized as customized templates from the site.

I'm doing a DarwinPorts port of Sympa and so I do installs and re-installs
rather than adjusting the installed files. I'd done it a lot with no
problems and suddenly the migration issue popped up. I'm trying to
anticipate any installation problems users might have.

Such packaging may be very usefull because more and more Sympa users use MacOs X.

Serge Aumont