en - Re: [sympa-users] Migrating templates to TT2 on new install

  • From: "Mark Duling" <address@concealed>
  • To: "Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites" <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Migrating templates to TT2 on new install
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:02:52 -0700

Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites <address@concealed> on
Wednesday, August 31, 2005 at 11:24 PM -0800 wrote:
>address@concealed wrote:
>
>>I have been experimenting with Sympa 5.1 and after re-installing it
>yesterdday
>>and starting it up it began a migration to TT2 process, and left all my
>web_tt2
>>templates with the suffix .oldtemplates. I reinstalled several times
>with the
>>same result. Somehow in the course of several more re-installs of Sympa
>and
>>the mySQL Sympa DB, it quit doing that and I'm working again. But I
>don't know
>>how this happened. I have no old installations of Sympa present. What
>could
>>trigger this? Below is the log info:
>>
>>Thank you.
>>

>Sympa 5.1 use css so all templates from previous version using <table>
>based html can't be used without changes. Because we want migration as
>simple as possible, when sympa is starting, it check if some changes are
>needed by testing the previous version used. This information is stored
>in Sympa's etc dir in a file named 'data_structure.version'.
>
>If Sympa is starting the migration process each time you start it,
>something is wrong with this file. Check for it .

I see. If I see this problem again I'll check the 'data_structure' file;
it's fine now but Sympa is up and happy now. But what was happening in my
case was that the migration process was happening on the first launch of
Sympa after the install. I wouldn't really care but it was renaming all
the web_tt2 templates to *.oldtemplate and not replacing them with
anything, which effectively disabled the web interface. Should the
migrate process behave like this even when a migration needs to happen?

I'm doing a DarwinPorts port of Sympa and so I do installs and re-installs
rather than adjusting the installed files. I'd done it a lot with no
problems and suddenly the migration issue popped up. I'm trying to
anticipate any installation problems users might have.

Regards,

Mark