en - Re: [sympa-users] Language and slowness problems with 5.1

  • From: Graham Todd <address@concealed>
  • To: Dale Ghent <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Language and slowness problems with 5.1
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:42:03 -0400

Dale Ghent wrote:

> I did a fresh install of 5.1 and all required Perl modules, and even
> though I'm running it with FastCGI, the web interface is _really_ slow.
> While dealing with this, I noticed the language preference drop- down
> box on the web pages is empy. In syslog, I'm seeing wwsympa.fcgi spew
> the errors pasted at the bottom of this email.
>
> I should note that this is running on a Solaris 8 server, and the
> syslog errors make it seem that the authors of Sympa are assuming the
> world runs on Linux or FreeBSD.

Linux is definitely a popular platform out there for server applications and
that influences developments in all sorts of ways.

Perhaps the problem you having relates to issues with perl Locale module that
Adam Bernstein mentioned:

http://listes.cru.fr/sympa/arc/sympa-users/2005-08/msg00062.html

His fix seems to work for me (on FreeBSD-5 which doesn't have /etc/locale.gen)

http://listes.cru.fr/sympa/arc/sympa-users/2005-08/msg00077.html

You can also set the default language in [ww]sympa's configuration file - of
course if the problem is "upstream" with perl modules maybe that won't work
(it didn't for me).

> Is there a way to turn off the repeated scanning of language resources
> with every web page hit and just default to a single language? All this
> setlocale stuff going on for every request to wwsympa.fgci seems highly
> inefficient.

Perhaps the error causes setlocale to repeatedly scan?

--
Graham Todd -- Bellanet Secretariat
tel/tél:613-236-6163 #2443