en - [sympa-users] bounce managment

  • From: Mark Ogden <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] bounce managment
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:59:19 -0600

I have installed Sympa 5.1b and everything is working great except
bounce management. From all I have read, I assumed that via the web
interface, when one selected Admin->Bounces that sympa would return
the addresses that are bouncing. I have subscribed bad addresses and
when I sent mail, in the logs this appears:

Jul 28 20:17:28 host sympa[66905]: Ignoring message which would cause
a loop, sent by address@concealed
Jul 28 20:17:28 host sympa[66905]: Moving bad file
address@concealed to bad/
Jul 28 20:17:28 host wwsympa[26873]: [robot list.domain.edu]
[client 12.123.123.123] [user address@concealed] [list re]
do_reviewbouncing(0)
Jul 28 20:17:28 host wwsympa[26873]: [robot list.domain.edu]
[client 12.123.123.123] [user address@concealed] [list re]
do_reviewbouncing: no bouncing subscriber
Jul 28 20:17:28 host sympa[66905]: Ignoring message which would cause
a loop, sent by address@concealed
Jul 28 20:17:28 host sympa[66905]: Moving bad file
address@concealed to bad/
Jul 28 20:17:28 host wwsympa[26873]: [robot list.domain.edu]
[client 12.123.123.123] [user address@concealed] [list re]
do_reviewbouncing(0)
Jul 28 20:17:28 host wwsympa[26873]: [robot list.domain.edu]
[client 12.123.123.123] [user address@concealed] [list re]
do_reviewbouncing: no bouncing subscriber

And when I view the Admin->Bounces I see "no_bouncing_subscriber".
I have the bounce_path set in wwsympa.conf to /home/sympa/bounce and
bounced is running. Also, I have set warn rate very low and the
threshold also very low just for testing with notification being set
to owner along with both welcome_return_path and remind_return_path
set to unique.

Am I missing something simple or does Admin->Bounces not do what I
thought it did? Any help or clarification on how bounce management
works would be great.

I have set "bounce+*: "| /home/sympa/bin/bouncequeue address@concealed"
in the aliase file.

Also, we are a University and have many students that set their email
to be forwared with a standard .forward file. I have also created a
bad .foward file for a subscriber yet I never see anything in the logs
about it. How do other Universities out here deal with bounce
managment and broken forwards using Sympa? If it is a broken forward
that is bad, will bounced be able to scan the email (as I understand it
does) and know what subscriber on the list that message was sent to?

Thanks.

-Mark
address@concealed